January 20, 2018, 06:36:36 PM

Author Topic: Potential Timeline?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
Potential Timeline?
« on: August 08, 2014, 10:30:20 PM »
From my buddy nightgaun7:

I'm not the huge lore junkie some are, and I'm much more interested in some factions than others, so it definitely needs rounding out. There are lots of things that simply aren't addressed, like the Fidelis or the Galatean League, or Nikol Marik's friendship with Danai, stuff like that.

FWL already covered, but for the record: Jessica Marik reforms SAFE, then starts a campaign of economic warfare, limited blockade, political subversion, and every other trick short of full-on war to grind the Regulans down. Can either have the FWL struggling to integrate the Regulans and keeping an eye out for Regulan separatist terror attacks, but regrouping and looking outwards, or having worn down most of the Fiefs but still having to deal with a few systems of hardcore resistance.

FedSuns: Julian Davion doesn't produce any trick, just shows up, takes charge, and gets in a knockdown drag-out fight with the Dracs.

RotS: Begins limited expansion, trying to claim systems and get the wall up before anyone can stop them. i.e. They jump in to Dieron, clear defenders out from around the HPG and then start getting the Wall equipment set up while fighting continues. After a couple of weeks it's ready to go and then they can hunt down resistance. Link up with the Remnant.

CapCon: Something internal, probably brought on by a combination of Daoshen going nuts and liberally-minded officers influenced by Canopian and Andurien policies. Maybe someone tries to off Daoshen, he goes nuts with revenge, and in so doing catalyzes a rebellion. Canopians and Andurien do something.

Falcons have some kind of internal struggle, obviously, still looking for a good twist to put on this one. One was that Malvina cranks crazy up to 13 and starts lobbing nukes and stuff around like it ain't no thing til someone finally assassinates her. After that the Falcons start fighting each other, while HH GB and Wolves, Lyrans too to some extent, get in a fight over Falcon territory. Despite being shattered on a Clan scale, individual bands of Falcon warriors are still extremely dangerous. Another idea was them getting absorbed by the Horses for the most part, with some Falcons refusing to acknowledge it and engaging in a guerilla war against them.

Lyrans: I'm fond of the idea of them fracturing completely, in contrast to the FWL getting it's shit together to some degree.

Wolves: Lose some big fancy unit trying to jump to a planet the RotS put the wall up on. I wanted to kill Alaric off that way, but CampaignAnon thought that was a bad idea, too anticlimactic. I think it's perfect, since Alaric is an annoying asshole that seems like someone's mary sue.

Ghost Bears: something other than GB/Combine War 3

Horses: Declare a trial of reaving vs the Hazen bloodname for dishonoring all the clans? I dunno, not as up on Clan stuff.

Fitvelt, Fronc, Randis, Calderon protectorate form a NATO style alliance, eventually the Taurians join, and they go beat up Tortuga a bit, occupy and force it to join and stop being pirate assholes as their first joint military operation,

Raven Alliance: They're really sticking it to the Suns, but also to the Combine. In my general hatred of Clanners I get a chuckle out of the idea of the Dracs and Feddies calling it quits to go annihilate the treacherous Ravens, but it's not likely. I like the notion of Space Amish terrorists, pissed at the betrayal of the Suns and general Raven fuckery.

Marians: They seem to be pretty quiet, probably just working to absorb the independent worlds where Circinus used to be.

Foxes: sit tight and let interest accumulate?
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Timeline?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:14:17 PM »
The plan would be to set the timeline in 3150, thus making it beyond all existing canon, and giving us the go ahead to do whatever we please without offending the battletech purists (such as myself).
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline shaka808

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 11:02:10 AM »
I really only see 3 really good starting points and 1 maybe point for leagues with widest appeal/sense of purpose.

1. 3025 - Yeah its boreing and someones been doing it for decades now

2. 3049/50 - Clan Invasion tends to bring with it alot of interest, Can be a bit stale mechwise (specially for the clans) Also maybe some balance issues but thats part of the fun balancing it :)

3. - Current (or yeah 3150)  Allows you to go pretty much "crazy" with new tech, experimental tech, customs, storylines, etc. I for one really want to play larger scale games with ferro lammellar, partial wings, streak lrms, etc etc. Sure at a glance they seem "cheesy" but if everyone has access to their respective experimental techs they arent so bad.

The maybe, comprise start point.

4. 3055ish - right after tukaiyid truce - stable point storyline wise , less stale than 3050 mech wise. Removes the fear of clans beelineing to terra if you enforce the truce.

Offline Octavian

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Kell Hounds
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:04:01 AM »
Not a fan of 3025 cause I like playing clans. Also think 3055-3072 is meh as far as an enforced truce being detrimental to an interesting strategic game.

Offline Kay Wolf

• Cadet
    • View Profile
    • Armageddon Unlimited Mercenary Combat Command
  • Unit: Armageddon Unlimited
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »
The plan would be to set the timeline in 3150, thus making it beyond all existing canon, and giving us the go ahead to do whatever we please without offending the battletech purists (such as myself).
Oh.  Nevermind, then.  Maybe some of the guys in AU would like to try this out, but I'll stick with playing in PGIs current time-line, until they can complete a c3025 server/game, or single-player. 

Well, okay, take care, then.

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 09:16:15 PM »
Note: NBT-Classic is for Megamek, not Mechwarrior online.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline Shadowwolf Jerricho

• Mechwarrior
    • View Profile
    • Kell Hounds
  • Unit: Kell Hounds
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »
I believe 3055 is a very good start point. Gives access to newer IS Mechs and Clan Mechs.
Shadowwolf Jerricho
Commanding Officer
Kell Hounds

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 06:05:19 PM »
I'm starting to consider maybe doing all timelines. Start with the Age of War and then advancing the era every couple of months.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 10:22:24 PM »
So I just had an interesting idea.

The problem with picking any era is that the fluff makes league progression difficult from the point where we start. And if we do 3150, I fear the stigma that follows darkage will dramatically lower the interested playerbase.

Saying "well, let's do every era then" has it's own troubles, as I couldn't bring myself to allow factions to be destroyed and then be absent from other eras when we move to a new one. So basically any work you do for your faction gets erased when we move to a new era. That's one of the crappy things about most mekwars leagues.

Thus, how do we keep close to canon, but also allow people to run their factions with some kind of meaning?

Well, the answer is, run the league, and include a "Campaign" inside of it.

So say in the new league certain factions parts of the map aren't necessarily part of the league (ie playable or conquerable), but a sub-portion of the league. A mini-Campaign.

So let's take 3058 for example: The Star League has just reformed, and each of the major houses and periphery states are tasked with taking out CSJ. Each participating IS faction sends some of its own units to take out CSJ. In the meantime, CSJ isn't a player faction, instead, it's given predetermined resources and the other Clans' players play as the Jaguars and try to win campaign points to later trade in for different resources (like tickets at a carnival).

The end result sticks with canon, as the star league wins, but depending on how the "Campaign" goes, each faction involved wins something out of it to varying levels. The Clans get "Honor Points", and the IS gets something similar (though to a lesser degree) and the chance to salvage some Clan designs and get some good experience for their units.

While all of the above goes on the players can go about business as usual for NBT in the rest of the league.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS