January 20, 2018, 06:35:29 PM

Author Topic: What were the problems with the old leagues?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
What were the problems with the old leagues?
« on: August 08, 2014, 07:44:23 PM »
Besides me obviously. :P

I was a hot headed little prick in my teens and early 20s. Now I'm much more stable and willing to work with those who bother me.

Regardless, we need to discuss what else was wrong with the last leagues so that we can take measures to fix it for the new one.

From what I can think of:
Non-Instant battles
Unflexible Automation
No downloadble client
Noob stomping.
Admin Bias
No-end game other than building more factories
Garrison types and levels.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline shaka808

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: What were the problems with the old leagues?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 11:39:54 AM »
This may take a few posts as things come to me and are able to coherently put to paper so to speak.
(all your reasons I agree with so going to comment on those first :P)

1. You could be a jerk yes but you were always approachable imo unlike previous admins.

2. Non instant battles - yes , solution since the auto is being built if you can ask the builder to add a function that would allow the defender to push to the ready to play game stage at anytime before auto that could solve that.

3.  Inflexible Automation - This was a minor gripe but did hamstring things in. Also allowed for some drastically silly things like jumping your way through one end of the map to the next to invade someone with impunity.

4. No downloadable client - not sure what you mean we had a downloadable megamek client ?

5. Noob stomping (Also just general Hardcore Win at all costs players) - Probably one of the worst offenders, NBT-C from the outset became the haven for people who struggled finding games elsewhere because no one wanted to play them. The system was stacked against the defenders and allowed attackers to force people to play them at their leisure. Lets face it there are more casual players than hardcore players. Hardcore players will play regardless, casual players need incentive (hate using the word protection) to stick around and play, getting spam bombed by PA's and 10+ attacks a day creating a huge backlog of games and the feeling of helplessness isn't the way to do that. (prob more on this train of topic later)

6. Admin Bias - I didn't feel you were too bias compared to some. But yes admin bias, is/was/always will be an issue regardless. It comes down to perception and transparency along with communication. You could be the nicest person in the world but if your the admin and running a faction and start beating down someone and taking their planets they will scream bias, etc, Thats where the transparency comes in. Admins need to work harder and more with their opponents to insure they understand you just want to play and have fun and that these are your plans for what you have going on and how you can accommodate their fun as well. It sucks that you cant really sneak attack someone without them going "you cheated you knew that side was undefended because your an admin" but thats the cost of being an admin who tries to accommodate every ones fun.

7. No end game - Yes the league was both too slow and too fast at the same time. Automaton, Arms build up money, ramped up way too fast. Games took way too long. Slow down the growth of factions money and armies would help quite a bit I think. Give Factions goals (All of military, economic, political, strategic) Not just take peoples home worlds.

8. Garrison types and levels - Yes touched on it above but there were WAY WAY WAY too many units in the game. Too easy to cherry pick entire forces of the best of the best and screw the rest. Factories base should prob be cut to something like assault line 1 per week, heavy 3, medium 4, light 2. Also dump factory expansion and just make people buy new factories which you could make more expensive then expansion but cheaper than it was.

Offline RuFF

• Inner Sphere Faction Representative
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Free Lancer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »
Ah yes it is me it has been a long time! You should know I love classic though and the only reason I stopped was because of the lack of people wanting to play.

Rules/Time Line I don't care about to much. I care mostly about how people can get games and not having people abuse the scheduling system.

Here is my suggestion and I think it is a fairly good one provided the automation can be tweaked to do something this simple:

1. Have players log into an IRC or Client
2. Players are not aloud to attack unless they are on this IRC or Client set to an ACTIVE Status.
3. Let games get released immediately or in 15 minutes instead of 2 days later waiting for the drop deck.
4. Chances are multiple teams will attack so play games in the order in which they were attacked/defended. Left over games have priority the next time someone on the unit logs in. (The idea is to initiate the games while others are on so they know about them and can play them that day provided they have the time.)
5. Allow the attacked planet 2 hrs to reinforce after the battles are completed. (Meaning people can't just attack right after a game, because then there would be no way to reinforce the planet.)
6. Players must complete X amount of games per week or lose their c-bill balance for the next week. Obviously the amount of games played will be based on the size of the unit. So if you play a lot pick a big unit, if you can only play once or twice a week pick a merc or something small. This will also keep players who like to keep units active from building up a SUPER uber force.

I think with these suggestions you can have a REALLY active Classic going where people would love to play everyday whenever they have the time.  This gets rid of the whole scheduling factor and allows for constant game play. Using a client and the NBT automation.  <3

Regards,
RuFF

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 02:51:25 PM »
Ah yes it is me it has been a long time! You should know I love classic though and the only reason I stopped was because of the lack of people wanting to play.

Rules/Time Line I don't care about to much. I care mostly about how people can get games and not having people abuse the scheduling system.

Here is my suggestion and I think it is a fairly good one provided the automation can be tweaked to do something this simple:

1. Have players log into an IRC or Client
2. Players are not aloud to attack unless they are on this IRC or Client set to an ACTIVE Status.

The goal is to integrate the NBT automation API directly into the MM client so this should be feasible.

3. Let games get released immediately or in 15 minutes instead of 2 days later waiting for the drop deck.

A feature that will be implemented first for MWO (it was first requested for Classic, actually) is the ability for two sides to say, in effect, "I'm ready, let's play". When both sides have "pressed that button", the force dec is generated and the battle can be logged.

4. Chances are multiple teams will attack so play games in the order in which they were attacked/defended. Left over games have priority the next time someone on the unit logs in. (The idea is to initiate the games while others are on so they know about them and can play them that day provided they have the time.)
5. Allow the attacked planet 2 hrs to reinforce after the battles are completed. (Meaning people can't just attack right after a game, because then there would be no way to reinforce the planet.)

Previous comment applies here.

Offline RuFF

• Inner Sphere Faction Representative
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Free Lancer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »
Awesome! I know I am stuck in the world of the old, so I was just wondering and basing it on the old automation.

Some more suggestions for a league.

3/4 Clans
4/5 IS
Skills\Ammo based on unit

2 Options:

1. Balance the game by redesigning mechs (Like mekwars did)
OR
2. Use Cannon

If we plan to use cannon the best thing I can say is that nothing is impossible and yes there will be designs that are bad and uberly good.  Something I have learned is that if your playing cannon, yes if someone brings 2 Rifleman IIC things can get choppy. I would just noob rush them and win in my oppinion, but sometimes people don't think about that stuff or don't have the right army. People may complain about pulse boating, but I would say just limit the production of some mechs.  If someone wants to bring all there good units to one battle, then let them since they might just lose all of it if they are not careful.  I have played megamek a lot and have realized that even though pulse is pretty powerful it is not unstoppable. So if we are going to play a cannonized game of megamek give no one edge and let the luck factor kick in a bit.  Limit the amount of clan tech an IS faction can bring to 25% of the bv in the match because 4/5 clan mechs are stronger than 3/4.  We don't want another LA abusing clan tech like mr. donut did with LA from CJF. :P

If we play a non-cannon style give clans edge as chances are things will be a little more balanced.

Not sure if it is still implimented but obviously clans should only hold maybe 80% of what IS can on planet to keep things a bit balanced bv wise.  Other than that there is no way to satisfy anyone and only those with a hard sense of megamek will understand that this game is not all skill haha. So if one unit gets doomed, so be it.

Another thing is maybe after every 6 months or a year reset the automation anew or keep it fresh by introducing new mechs over time through a time line.

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 10:31:48 PM »
Interesting food for thought, though given the MWO, a new Classic is some time away.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS