April 22, 2018, 11:20:58 AM

Author Topic: Organization Levels  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
Organization Levels
« on: September 15, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »
So since I want to make the new NBT-Classic an authentic Battletech universe simulator, I want to revamp the way we organize units on planets.

So right now here's how you organize mechs. You can either load them into jumpships, or planets. You load them onto Jumpships and drop them on enemy planets to attack.

I want to change this. If Mech X is on Planet Y, I want to go Planet Y -> Dropship B -> Jumpship Z ->  Jump to Planet V -> Jumpship Z -> Dropship B-> Planet V.

Add to that, I want different types of units (Mechs, Tanks, BA, Protomechs, Infantry, Conventional Fighters, Spacecraft, Capital Ships) to have their own garrison slots on every planet.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Organization Levels
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
Can (and will) do. I think I actually implemented this in the database earlier this year.

From the data perspective, there will be generic "unit". "unit x" can be configured to carry N quantity of "unit Y", "unit Z", etc. So you can configure a dropship unit to carry N mechs, and a jumpship unit to dock Y dropships, and so forth.

"unit" will have a class (dropship, infantry, mech, capital, etc) as well as a "subtype" (light battlemech, medium battle mech, etc). These values will be 100% customizable, and will be per-league. So MWO can have just mech and jumpship class like they do now, with the obvious subtypes, and Classic can have its own larger variety of classes and types. This will all be defined in data, not code, and therefore under complete control of the league admin.

It will also be trivial to implement the database such that planets have a garrison by unit type and/or class. We can have it such that the admin marks the "unit" as "garrison-able" or not, and we can also have default (applies to every planet) garrison sizes, as well as per-planet or per-faction garrison size overrides if you like. Again, applies to any league in the new automation, such that the MW-based leagues can stay simpler and CBT/MM-based leagues can enjoy additional complexity.

Also (you didn't ask, but it's implemented in the current "new" database schema), units will be unique throughout the league. So right now in the current automation there is a "mechs" table, that has a location, action and amount. Location is a planet or JS, action is something like "Attack JS" or :Onwer Garrison", and amount is number of that mech on that planet/JS in that "mode".

In the future, there would instead be "unit instances" that can each have their own properties (such as movement and experience/skill), so if you have a game where you can "level up" a unit, and want to be able to use it specifically on specific battles, you can, and the automation can track that. Note that this also makes it easier to implement more complex mech ownership/transfer/sale schemes if we like, because now we know each mech individually, instead of in aggregate totals.

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:30:41 PM »
What if I wanted jumpships to become a killable entity?
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 11:33:04 PM »
We can make "destructible" an option for all units. I am guessing that we want all units carried (recursively) on a unit to be destroyed also? So for example, if a JS has DS attached to it and those DS have mechs on them, all those mechs and DS are also destroyed?

Or if only the JS is destructible, and the things on it are not, what happens to them?

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 12:14:45 AM »
No, let's make it so everything is destroyed.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 12:18:52 AM »
OK, so destruction will be recursive, straightforward.

Now I think about it, we'll have to be able to mark units as "intra-system" or "inter-system" in order to be able to recognize them as units that can move between planets.