August 21, 2018, 02:14:29 PM

Author Topic: Blackmarket Idea/Question  (Read 1699 times)

Offline TygerLily

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Cameron's Highlanders
Blackmarket Idea/Question
« on: September 10, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
So, I had a question/idea. Since the Black Market seems to be filled with stuff we don't want but it's more expensive than the stuff we DO want...I'm curious about if this stuff will ever move?

If we could set our own prices then we could sell crap Mechs for dirt cheap.
Natural supply/demand would be at work on the pricing.
We could also attempt to make money off our factories by making and selling with a markup.

ANYWAY, just a thought! I was wondering if there was a long-term sort of way that the BM works that hasn't been realized since we're early on. Just curious.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:06:04 PM by TygerLily »

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
Re: Blackmarket Idea/Question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 09:31:28 PM »
The problem with setting own prices is that it's open to abuse: "I'll sell you 20 'X' for 10 cbills each, you sell me 20 'Y' for 10 cbills each, no harm no foul, nudge nudge wink wink".

The black market is a true free market (supply and demand): prices are higher than they are to buy "normally" because "normally" you can't get them (you don't make them, nor does an ally, for example). Prices will fluctuate based on the volume of a given chassis -- tons and tons of Urbanmechs, for example, will decrease both the selling price and asking price for that mech (think ticket scalpers outside the gates at a sporting event 5 minutes past starting time -- low demand, high supply -- they won't give you anything for tickets you have, but they also can't ask anything much for the ones they do). Also, the "instant delivery" charge is factored into the cost.

When a mech gets to be too common on the black market, Comstar will clear them away (imagine they sweep in and buy them up and provide them to "First Mech" programs for disadvantaged youth).

It's not impossible, we would just have to close *all* the loopholes in advance if we were to try it.

Offline TygerLily

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:42:55 PM »
Ah...gotcha. Maybe the lowest they can only be sold for 50% of their factory price? Anyway, thanks for the response.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:51:55 PM »
My thought would be the lowest is 100% list (including cross-tech markups). So lets say that a Timberwolf sells to clans for 10M and to IS for 50M -- those would be the base prices. Premiums from there (ebay.com/mechs, anyone?)

The problem is that this lessens the need for alliances, and gets us closer to the "bad old days" of the "Magic Comstar Mech Store" when mechs were simply bought for cbills straight up; all you needed was cash. I do understand that factory production would limit this effect (and hopefully it would be self-limiting for desirable chassis). I'm sure that DP went through this same thought process when the black market was first introduced.

As for the black market itself, try putting a Dire Wolf on there at consignment -- you will be guaranteed your, what, 250% premium. ;) It's only the "quicksale" option that has the lower price for the unit looking to liquidate.

Offline TygerLily

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 10:12:54 PM »
Yea, the alliance thing is a good point...

Not to miss the forest for the trees, but unless a unit is closing down I don't see them ever selling a Dire, haha. Which is one of my concerns, won't the BM be a ghost town once everyone gets their meta ducks all in a row?

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »
Comstar (admins) not only have the ability to "make a market" for mechs on the auction block (like brokerage houses in that regard), they also have the ability to find occasional lost mechs looking for a good home and a spot by the fire. ;)

Offline TygerLily

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 11:27:17 PM »
Ah, cool. Man this is old hat for you...what am I even talking about, lol.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 10:18:15 AM »
On the contrary, always looking for ideas to make the league better. :) Just that there has been a lot of time since it began and virtually every exploit, loophole or abuse of rules has been seen, and the current rules reflect that.