September 20, 2018, 02:46:30 PM

Author Topic: NBT-MWO Automation Milestone Status  (Read 50989 times)

Offline Kay Wolf

• Cadet
    • View Profile
    • Armageddon Unlimited Mercenary Combat Command
  • Unit: Armageddon Unlimited
Re: NBT-MWO Automation Milestone Status
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 06:05:51 PM »
You have accomplished so very much since the last time I logged in, here.  I can't wait to be able to mess around with it.  Just let me know when, and I'll be happy to come and play.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »
Deadfire and I talked a bit over the weekend and he is going to start taking over client development duties, which should hopefully (a) speed things up, and (b) make things better on each side of things, since (1) he is experienced on the creative side, and (2) I am the exact opposite of creative. ;)

The idea is to free me up to make the backend stronger and more functional, and at the same time create a compelling user experience. That said, if anyone has any meaningful web development experience, he could use the help, both in graphic design as well as web coding. Contact him via the forums here if you are interested.

And the need is still there for someone with web service development experience to work with me on the backend -- REST API with Java servlets and MySql are the primary experience factors there.

So for the immediate future I will be documenting the NBT REST API (current and future state) for the client development effort, and then will get back to adding functionality (and hardening the functionality that currently exists).

Offline DarkSniper-

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »
How many teams are interested? Because of the failure of mwo online I can't see this going far.

Offline Lucity

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Harloc Raiders
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 06:28:33 PM »
Myself and others are definatly interested in joining NBT

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 10:27:41 PM »
So there hasn't been an update for a while, I know. Since the last update I had been working on figuring out what to do for documentation, and settled on Swagger (https://helloreverb.com/developers/swagger), which necessitated several changes to the existing API to make it work. Some of those changes caused me to rework the request handlers in the API to be more consistent, so this is all for the good. And I spent some time planning the rest of the first phase of the API (partly to make sure that it would all actually work with both RESTeasy and Swagger). On top of that, I was on vacation for a week during that time and there was also the Labor Day weekend, so...all work and no play, right?

The point of having the API documentation was to give Deadfire something to use while he reboots the client. Why reboot? What I had been creating for client UI was not really going to work in "production", so rather than me continuing to cobble together something merely functional, Deadfire will start with a top-down site design and we'll fit it with automation API calls, so at least when we are ready to roll a PLT we'll have something whose appearance won't make you all run screaming for the hills. ;) It will also allow me to make better progress with the backend; trying to do both at the same time was slowing down progress, and division of labor is a historically well-tested efficiency booster.

So, now, back to battle forces, their transport and battle mechanics...

("Inside baseball" warning...)

It's actually interesting to create a REST API around NBT automation mechanics with which I've been intimately familiar for years; thinking of the various bits of automation functionality in terms of GET, POST, PUT and DELETE HTTP requests to a rational set of URLs is a slightly weird feeling...but a satisfying one, as it does all seem to map to this solution space pretty well. In the current automation, implementing the first step in battle logging, for example, meant having to consider solution in terms of web pages (and our PHP code is tightly integrated with MySQL database queries), whereas in the new automation REST API, it manifests itself to the world as a "/leagues/{id}/units/{id}/battles/{id}", where a PUT request by the attacking unit supplies the data for the first step in the logging. It's nice to approach the automation systems in this sort of layered way, where the request is handled in a consistent manner in a Java servlet, which itself deals with the database through a JDBC stored procedure call (rather than creating the MySQL query string using the data directly), and the whole thing is transactional to boot. This may seem elementary if you've been developing n-tier systems for years, but the current automation barely reaches 2-tier. And doing the whole thing as a REST API means that *anyone* can access the automation from anywhere -- if you don't like the automation site we're putting together, or if you want to make an Android or iOS app for it, you can. And for the Megamek players, the hope is that we can leverage this to allow tighter integration between the game client and the automation.

At any rate, back to work!

Offline DarkViper

• Cadet
    • View Profile
    • House Jurai
  • Unit: House Jurai
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 01:56:55 AM »
House Jurai stands ready to join.

Anything we can do to help just ask.

Cheers,

Dv
Heng of House Jurai

Offline Kaden

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Wolf Spiders
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »
Great Job.  NBT honestly gets mentioned on our forums daily. 

Offline Dark DeLaurel

• Cadet
    • View Profile
    • Clan Hell's Horses
  • Unit: Clan Hell's Horses
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 11:39:22 PM »
Great update Xav, so far it sounds like you are enjoying writing a RESTful API. I like the fact we will be able to tie into it to make our own front end if we so desire.

Offline Aylward

• Inner Sphere Faction Representative
    • View Profile
    • HeadHunters of Davion - Main Hall
  • Unit: HeadHunters of Davion
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 02:55:58 PM »
The HeadHunters of Davion are eagerly awaiting the completion of this project and the start of NBT-MWO. We were a FedSuns House merc unit back in NBT-HC (still on that roster in fact) and loved it. We've grown a bit since then.. We're several hundred strong now and raring to go.. A few of us hold more hope of this league succeeding than MWO's community warfare at this point frankly, based on what they've said we'll be able to do with it so far.. Other teams are waiting in the wings too.

We have a whole new generation of mech junkies here, with many if not most that have never seen a real persistent planetary conquest league on an actual inner sphere map yet.. Show them the way ! Maybe PGI will take some pointers too.

Keep up the great work !! Can't wait for it to come online !! If there is anything we can do to help, my email is below. Eager testers are standing by if you need them..

~S~

Aylward
RCTCO - 1st HeadHunters of Davion RCT
Aylward@hhod.com

Aylward
RCTCO - HeadHunters of Davion
Federated Suns CO
AFFS

Offline Helbrecht

• Mechwarrior Trainee
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
been about 2 months since last update any movement or is nbt dead?

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »
Negative -- I've been working strictly on the backend as Deadfire had volunteered to take over the frontend (web/client). I should have an update sometime this week.

Offline Helbrecht

• Mechwarrior Trainee
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »
kk bud

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
Yeah, basically what I had been doing was writing "merely functional" front-end code that served only to drive the back-end code. What I've been doing since was writing a coherent unit test, that essentially can take the automation backend through all of its steps, from creating a league, to populating it with users and factions, economy/resources/battles, without having to have any front-end code at all. This allows the front-end and back-end to proceed independent of each other (which is a double-edged blade, of course), and also provides a handy test app I can use when making changes, to ensure nothing got broken.

I personally had been going through some crunch time at work so my progress on the automation was hampered, but that's ended now so I can focus on automation work again.

Offline Kaden

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Wolf Spiders
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »
Awesome!  I wish there was something I could do... unfortunately i can't program.

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »
We could use people to stir up interest to gain said programmers.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS