January 18, 2018, 09:36:11 PM

Author Topic: Be able to attack a planet from a planet that is under attack  (Read 1666 times)

Offline BanditB17

• NBT League Team
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Isengrim
Be able to attack a planet from a planet that is under attack
« on: September 09, 2015, 04:00:32 PM »
My current scenario:

Had 4 jumpships on Clan Wolf planets. They just finished up their campaign and since they were victories they stay in orbit around that planet. Finished up on salvage and loot and went to bed. This morning, wanted to launch fresh attacks from those jumpships but since Marik launched an attack on those planets my only option is to return those jumpships to friendly space.

I just feel like Marik unintentionally screwed us by taking away our ability to continue into contested territory with those ships. We now have to return them to allied space and wait for our jumpships to recharge before being able to attack again

I understand why you would want to lock mechs onto a planet that is under attack so people can't pack up and run leaving no salvage for the attacker, but what was the reasoning behind not letting you launch an attack from an attacked planet?

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
Re: Be able to attack a planet from a planet that is under attack
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 04:06:22 PM »
It prevents you from leapfrogging into enemy space. Realistically this should be allowed, but would result in Clan Purple Rhino just charging through the IS and hitting Terra, as an example.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline BanditB17

• NBT League Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 04:29:45 PM »
I don't see how that prevents leapfrogging considering the only way this condition is met is if the planet you are on gets re-attacked before you leave.

If you are clan pink warthog, theoretically you can just leap frog all the way to terra anyways as long as you avoid a contested border between 2 houses.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 04:33:01 PM »
The issue isn't that you can't jump further (which has its own logistical problems, btw), it's that in this case, the planet you want to jump from is locked for battle. Were it not, you could jump further in if you liked. In the future, I would plan to jump immediately once the battle is logged, to avoid this.

The logistical problems I mention are supply lines; if you keep winning big, and grabbing salvage/repairs/theft along the way, you can keep jumping around enemy space without care. But if you are winning small (losing lots of mechs along the way), how would you support/supply that expeditionary force? At some point you would run the risk of running out of enough mechs even to fight a TD, and then your JS are stuck (cannot Merc jump from an unfriendly planet).

I know this wasn't your intent, but is something to consider long-term.

Offline BanditB17

• NBT League Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »
Definitely took that into consideration, but I was hoping the game wouldn't prevent me from taking that risk.
In this case, I had planned on jumping from border planet another uncontested border planet.

I wanted to wait until the morning to confirm the battle report after the defender had their go at it, but Tundra said that was against the rules and that I had to file immediately. Goes against the anti-delay rule.

I guess I will have to have all of my affairs in order the instant I click confirm next time.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »
Definitely took that into consideration, but I was hoping the game wouldn't prevent me from taking that risk.
In this case, I had planned on jumping from border planet another uncontested border planet.

I wanted to wait until the morning to confirm the battle report after the defender had their go at it, but Tundra said that was against the rules and that I had to file immediately. Goes against the anti-delay rule.

Yes, there were units in past NBTs that would drag out confirming for as long as possible (to slow down an opponent, or to wait for something of theirs to recharge, etc). Definitely falls under the "stalling" rules. ;)

I guess I will have to have all of my affairs in order the instant I click confirm next time.

Usually what I would do in LA was have a couple of targets in mind (especially in busy areas). It may not be a bad idea to launch some recons around there -- makes it easier to know what the most ripe targets are. ;)