September 20, 2018, 08:45:13 AM

Author Topic: Fixed: Incorrect jumpship recharge times  (Read 7289 times)

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
Fixed: Incorrect jumpship recharge times
« on: September 05, 2015, 11:55:52 AM »
The automation had been hardcoded (instead of using the config knob in the admin tools) for 50 hours base recharge; I have changed this to the 72 hours as described in the rules. I had expected the config knob to work, but, alas, yet another hardcoded value in the site code jumps up to bite.

I mention this in case you were looking at your JS last night and saw "48h" for charge time left, and you look again today and see something higher -- this is expected. EVERYONE's ships will show increased time (22h more, in fact), so no one is getting an advantage. This merely sets the league to where the rules say it should be.

incidentally, this "72" number is not an absolute, it depends entirely on the type/class of star in the system to which you are jumping; this number could go as low as 50h (B0 star), or as high as 94h (M9 star). So while many jumps are made of necessity (battle attacks or garrison reinforcement), careful examination of the star type (available on the starmap detail view next to the planet name) can provide you a "cheap" route to your final destination. The star types and classes and their effects are described in the rules under Jumpships And Travel.

Offline HBizzle

• Mechwarrior Trainee
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Flavor of the Month Gaming
Re: Fixed: Incorrect jumpship recharge times
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 08:26:55 PM »
Magistracy of Canopus is officially requesting that this be set back.

We right now have to either attack someone we don't want to attack, and who don't want to attack us, or we basically have to wait a week before having any action at all, which is absurd. 

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 08:28:30 PM »
Yeah for trial purposes I think 50 was perfectly fine. The rules can be more easily changed than the automation.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline RayRazor

• Inner Sphere Faction Representative
    • View Profile
  • Unit: BlackThornes
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 08:29:35 PM »
Would it be possible to hold off on the change until next week? it appears that this might be a bit too disruptive at the onset... thoughts?

Offline HBizzle

• Mechwarrior Trainee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 08:35:16 PM »
So the 8 pm EDT time for the league to start was a big headache for us.  I was unable to be home before it and finalize our movements, and in the rush to try and move material and ships we had some major snafus.

This caused us to move a ship after the deadline without realizing the deadline had passed and we were literally unable to launch an assault fleet at anyone.  We are now stuck in this recharging hell hole that will result in us having to wait until the end of this week to most likely have any form of combat.   

Yes, I freely admit that we had time to move mechs and jumpships well before hand, but we were still learning the process for that and real life got in the way.

With that context I think the 3 DAY recharge time is fucking a lot of people.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 08:40:42 PM »
I need to hear from more than two units that going back to 50 is acceptable.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 08:50:58 PM by Xavier »

Offline Lucity

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Harloc Raiders
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 08:47:33 PM »
Is it possible to have the periphery jump go to neutral planets for the time being?

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 08:51:28 PM »
Is it possible to have the periphery jump go to neutral planets for the time being?

No, that would be too disruptive in terms of code changes.

Offline BanditB17

• NBT League Team
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Isengrim
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 08:53:32 PM »
I am fine with either as long as it doesn't cause people to get overwhelmed with having to schedule way too many matches.

Offline Nori

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: FotMG
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 08:55:47 PM »
I am fine with either as long as it doesn't cause people to get overwhelmed with having to schedule way too many matches.
As it is not we are likely at least a week away from one match.

Offline HBizzle

• Mechwarrior Trainee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 08:57:45 PM »

Well out in periphery land our planets are so far apart we wont get action until we hit the edge of the sphere. 

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 08:58:38 PM »

I think MWO helps in this regard, as (a) there is no NBT server and admin needed to coordinate the drops; and (b) MWO matches are much shorter than those typical of past MW4-based NBTs, so more can get done in a night than we could in the past.

I had honestly thought that, before making the change to align with the rules, that 50 hours might be better in general, for these reasons (keep things moving along, certainly). I am very willing to change the rules long-term if there is no strong disagreement, but this change was made to fix an error in the automation where the code was not enforcing the rules as posted for the past several weeks.

Offline HBizzle

• Mechwarrior Trainee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 09:00:43 PM »
actually right now if you accidentally jump to an M9 planet, which we did (Dainmar Majoris), you are literally having to wait the majority of a 5 day work week to move again.  Literally nearly 5 days. 

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 09:20:35 PM »
actually right now if you accidentally jump to an M9 planet, which we did (Dainmar Majoris), you are literally having to wait the majority of a 5 day work week to move again.  Literally nearly 5 days.

Yeah that's part of the game.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline Thumper9669

• Mechwarrior Trainee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 10:24:59 PM »
Hate to say it but the recharge times are just out there and should be adjusted or make it so that the vacant space can be used. Right now my unit can jump into some other space and just barely but because it is vacant it is going to take us about 3 weeks to get to any one. Cant even use factories or CS in those areas as once again they are vacant space.