January 16, 2018, 03:13:02 PM

Author Topic: NBT-MWO Signups Are Underway  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
NBT-MWO Signups Are Underway
« on: July 18, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
I have put the NBT public site and automation into "signup" mode. For the next month or so, you can apply for factions in the upcoming NBT-MWO league. The signup process is straighforward:

• Go to https://www.netbattletech.com, click the "Play!" link at the top, which will scroll you down the page
  • Click the NBT:MWO logo to go to the automation interface
  • Register an account with the automation
  • Click the Factions item in the top nav bar, fill out the application form and then click "Apply" next to the faction you wish to occupy

That's all it takes!

If you experience any problems or issues with anything regarding the site or the automation interface, let me know and I will dig into it right away. I've done as much testing as I can on my own but this is the first time that everyone else gets to bash on it and I can almost guarantee issues, considering how new it is.

Also, if you have any comments or suggestions about the look-and-feel or the aesthetics of the site and automation, let me know that too -- I am a software developer, not a graphic designer, so my "make it look good" skills are lacking. ;)

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: NBT-MWO Signups Are Underway
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 06:36:13 PM »
It looks like GMail is the perpetrator this time around when it comes to blocking "spam" from the NBT automation...where "spam" seems to include the account activation emails sent by the automation. This is unfortunate because I did all of the development of this feature using a Gmail account for testing...but alas. I am currently looking into what I need to do to get these emails working for all recipients.

If you are using gmail and are not receiving your activation emails, let me know and I will activate your account manually. I will probably need you to verify the email address you used so I can double check it (especially if I am not familiar with you).

I apologize for this unexpected inconvenience!

Offline Igor Kozyrev

• Periphery State Representative
    • View Profile
  • Unit: The Librarians
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:52:21 AM »
«Password must contain at least: one lowercase, one uppercase, one digit, one special character»

Thank you for caring about my security, but this is bull excessive. I'll be perfectly fine with having "password123" for NBT.

Also, is it possible to use old accounts from the old automation?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:57:00 AM by Igor Kozyrev »
Gentlemen, let's refrain from using local time zones. UTC is called Universal Time Coordinated for a reason.

http://librarians.ru/
ts.librarians.su

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:11:11 AM »
Negative, this is an entirely new system built from scratch.

The password issue is more about preventing someone else from guessing your password and impersonating you in your automation. In the alpha we had more than one accusation of teams "hacking" another's automation. While the most likely explanation is that someone else with authorized access to their automation did something that was not communicated to the rest of the team, it is entirely possible that someone used a password like "password123" which was easily guessed and used by unauthorized persons. So it's more about increasing the level of difficulty required to guess one's way into an opponent's account.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:12:29 AM »
Also, I think the email issue may be resolved now; if anyone has any issues not receiving their verification email, please let me know.

Offline Igor Kozyrev

• Periphery State Representative
    • View Profile
  • Unit: The Librarians
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:40:52 AM »
Yeah, I had no problems registering (apart from password). Another problem I've got is that https://netbattletech.com/ and https://www.netbattletech.com/ return differen websites. AND the logo on the main page showed up for me just one time and doesnt show up anymore. Well, maybe instead of a logo a decent link or a button would've been simply better, easier to find and more clear?
Gentlemen, let's refrain from using local time zones. UTC is called Universal Time Coordinated for a reason.

http://librarians.ru/
ts.librarians.su

Offline Lukoi

• NBT League Team
    • View Profile
    • Smoke Adders (Theta Galaxy, CSA)
  • Unit: Clan Star Adder (Smoke Adders)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »
Sorry if this already known info that I may have missed, but how long will sign ups likely go on for?  I believe newtech has everyone consumed so it might be overshadowing NBT opening.

Also, any way to see which factions are "taken" and by who, as you guys decide that?

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:55:18 AM »
Yeah, I had no problems registering (apart from password). Another problem I've got is that https://netbattletech.com/ and https://www.netbattletech.com/ return differen websites. AND the logo on the main page showed up for me just one time and doesnt show up anymore. Well, maybe instead of a logo a decent link or a button would've been simply better, easier to find and more clear?

I will probably change the site architecture today so that the logo on the main page is no longer necessary -- currently though, it is necessary, as a way to let the automation know which league (NBT supports multiple) you are interested in.

And I will fix the DNS mess as well.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:59:15 AM »
Sorry if this already known info that I may have missed, but how long will sign ups likely go on for?  I believe newtech has everyone consumed so it might be overshadowing NBT opening.

Also, any way to see which factions are "taken" and by who, as you guys decide that?

Signups will probably go through the August patch. I don't want to make decisions on faction assignment too early so that might not start happening until the last week or two of signups. In the meantime I think we can probably list which teams have applied for which faction, if everyone is fine with that. It may spark conversation about collaboration, between teams who want the same faction, as well as possibly drive additional interest in the league.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »

Offline Lukoi

• NBT League Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
Of the 33 teams that replied to my collab survey, more than half were firmly planning to sign up or on the fence but leaning heavily towards doing so.  Several overlapped regarding factions and most seemed willing to work as part of a small group of units.  Only one (I think, might have to review feedback) wss adamant about solo ownership and one adamant about leading a faction.  Pretty reasonable results imo, so yea listing the apps would likely help generate discussion on that....as well as set the stage for some early politicking lol.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
Thanks Lukoi!

I feel like I should get permission first from those who have already submitted apps; for those that are fine with publishing their interest, I will change the faction listing to reflect that information (just the team names for those who applied for a faction) and add that opt-in to the app form as well.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »
AND the logo on the main page showed up for me just one time and doesnt show up anymore.

Worked around this for now, the logo should always show up.

Later today, I am going to change it so that there is the landing page (www.netbattletech.com) that hosts the "static" content, and something like "automation.netbattletech.com" that users can link to directly, so that the two are independent of one another.

Offline Lukoi

• NBT League Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »
Is the map not functional? I can't  move around it like I remember doing previously.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 09:04:22 PM »
Do you mean previously, as in the old one? Or previously as in this one but in the past day or so?

If the former, this one is a click-and-drag (middle mouse button drag) with mouse-wheel zoom map. If you don't have a middle mouse button you can do SHIFT+left-mouse-button to move around.