April 21, 2018, 08:30:04 AM

Author Topic: NBT-MWO Suggestions  (Read 22054 times)

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
NBT-MWO Suggestions
« on: May 15, 2014, 06:06:53 PM »
Please feel free to post suggestions or ideas for features for the new league. Feel free to discuss them openly here. Anything you'd like to see in a new NBT league.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline Shadowwolf Jerricho

• Mechwarrior
    • View Profile
    • Kell Hounds
  • Unit: Kell Hounds
Re: NBT-MWO Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
I would like to see us keep the 8 man drops with agreements up to 12 to help smaller units get involved with NBT.
Shadowwolf Jerricho
Commanding Officer
Kell Hounds

Offline Vercinix

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: 228th IBR
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:34:39 PM »
Hey everyone,

In concerns to the number of players needed for drops I wanted to let everyone know what we are working on. At this time we are currently looking at keeping them about the same size as before and moving up to and including 12v12 player matches.  This will be done using much of the same system used previously where the type of combat/match will dictate weights and allowed players.  In this we can make it so matches you would expect to be big and important will be that way and scouting will be...scouting!

Offline PeRRaKo

• Cadet
    • View Profile
    • 17th Recon
  • Unit: 17th Recon Regiment
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 03:21:28 AM »
Will the type of match/combat have a min/max number of players as in previous iterations (except for recons were it was 5 players required)  or will that number be fixed?

PeRRaKo
17th Recon Regiment
AKA Camacho's Caballeros
www.17threcon.com
----------------------------------------------
Former:
XO Camacho's Caballeros | NBT-Mercs
XO Castillian Alliance | NBT-HC
CO Castillian Alliance | NBT-C

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
Will the type of match/combat have a min/max number of players as in previous iterations (except for recons were it was 5 players required)  or will that number be fixed?

That's the type of thing we're going to have to test in the alpha. I do know it's going to be pretty similar to our past leagues, but stuff like recons might see a revamp. If you guys have ideas we're all ears.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline Asmudius Heng

• Cadet
    • View Profile
    • House Jurai
  • Unit: House Jurai
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 06:07:14 PM »
I would like to see us keep the 8 man drops with agreements up to 12 to help smaller units get involved with NBT.

I would like to see multiple size drop modes if possible.

4, 8 and 12 mans depending on the mission.

This way even smaller groups could be lance based pirate units doing small raids etc ... mid/large units would do 8 man drops for most missions ... and 12 man drops would be for larger units on major planetary assaults.

The type of attack or defense would determine this, though being able to drop with less but with the same tonnage could be done.

I know that right now Jurai could probably do 4 mans easily and would suit our pirate background, but we could build to to 8 mans for more daring attacks etc.
[HJ]-Asmudius Heng of House Jurai
Those who can see their own demise learn not to fear death - but always to respect it. Know when I am the dealer of your death it comes with respect - but never with pity nor sympathy.

Offline Vercinix

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 09:20:18 PM »
We are def looking to do exactly what you want.  The concept as far as I understand and Derv explains to me allows for the units choice to directly correlate to the types of combat they would choose.  What we are working on will make sure some groups wouldn't be doing a full planetary assault on a house planet and there for wouldn't need to have 12 players to be fielded in a match.  Because of this more units or teams will be able to enter and gain a more diversified showing in NBT-MWO.  The "4, 8 and 12 mans depending on the mission" is one of my favorite concepts from the old rules and we will work very hard to keep it.

Thanks you for the questions, keep them coming.
Vercinix

Offline Scion Koga

• Cadet
    • View Profile
    • The Kell Hounds : We are the Vanguard
  • Unit: Kell Hounds
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 07:02:18 PM »
This is my only cautionary note:

I think it might actually be detrimental to limit too many of the drops to 8 people. I understand the diversity, and for smaller units it is especially hard. I worry about teams that have a lot of people and want to drop 12 mans regularly, and not just 8s or 4s. This goes along the same lines as CBT as well. In almost any engagement (not just assaults for planetary control), the defending and opposing forces at least had a company of mechs.

I think changing up the size of drops is great, and it definitely allows for different style games. I just want to caution against limiting the amount of players too much. This isn't MW4, this is MWO, and people like the strategy of 12 man teams.

I might also put it a little bluntly. If all you can field is 4-8, then you might want to consider joining with another smaller unit to bolster your numbers. I speak from experience in trying to run any kind of unit with that few of active pilots. It is not fun.

Please don't take this the wrong way, i'm totally for everything the league will do. I just want to at least play devil's advocate so we don't forget what made us excited about MWO in the first place -- a lot of 12 man drops.
Kell Hounds XO
-----------------------------
NBT-HC: Kell Hounds
NBT-C: Dismal Disinherited
NBT-HC: Clan Coyote
NBT-HC: Clan Ice Hellion
NBT-Mercs: Outworlds Alliance

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."
–Socrates

Offline Sarge

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »
I may be wrong Scion, but the way I took it was that the limitations being suggested are for baby units just coming in and would be temporary.  The question then would be "When would the training wheels come off?"

Offline Kageru

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »
I think it will be interesting to have limited number and tonnage drops, either as bargained between Clan units or in order to balance fights with Inner Sphere units.

There are several advantages ...
- Strategic Flexibility ... giving the attacker (or in some cases, the defender) the option to limit the amount of resources he wants to devote to a certain type of attack
- Inclusion ... it's difficult for some time zones to get a full 12 together ... low-weight engagements could encourage play around the clock
- Diversity ... if you haven't tried a 4v4 in a private match, I highly recommend it ... it's a different game
- Distributed Player Responsibility ... not everyone is up to commanding a 12-man drop, but getting together a couple of competent lance commanders for an 8-man is a bit easier ... it also could help take some of the pressure off of the top tier "A Team" players who might be busy with other leagues, practicing for that upcoming planetary assault, etc.

Offline PeRRaKo

• Cadet
    • View Profile
    • 17th Recon
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 05:34:03 AM »
I like the idea of having different ranges in the number of players required for a drop depending on the type of said drop/battle.

For example, instead of forcing a 12v12 in "big" drops, set a range of 8 to 12 players, always inside the tonnage limitations.
This way every unit has more options regarding strategies, resources, transportation, player availability and so on.
Maybe a unit has a high number of assault 'Mechs garrisoning a planet, and droping with 8 players is more than enough to meet the tonnage limit. Or maybe they can't field 12 players that particular night.
This sort of flexibility is very helpful for modest units and also offers a more wide range in styles of play and tactics.
Those who want to field 12 players are still able to do so. I think it's a win-win.

On the other hand, for smaller drops like recons and TDs the number could be fixed, or have a smaller range between the minimum and the maximum number of players required for the drop.

And now the not so big and not so small either drops... These ones are more tricky and would require more thought/testing. Could also be fixed as 8 players shouldn't be that hard to gather but a 6-10 range could also be interesting.

Anyway, probably all this could end up not being compatible with the battle system mentioned by Vercinix in which a unit has "attached" what type of battles it would play depending on the unit faction/type (if I understood correctly).

I have to say I'm eager to read the preliminary ruleset so we can offer more detailed feedback and suggestions :)

Edit: Typo
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:43:36 AM by PeRRaKo »
PeRRaKo
17th Recon Regiment
AKA Camacho's Caballeros
www.17threcon.com
Former:

Offline Vercinix

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 12:48:59 AM »
They will be ranges.  We will want to give a team as much choice as we can while giving a fair fight.  Overall in my opinion the more players the more powerful the team.   But We will not stop people from doing what they feel they can to win.  The size the gap will be is still unknown and will be part of the tweaking part of the rules.  If I was to go off my gut i would say i'm aiming for 9-12 for the "Big" fights.  For clans we haven't looked into how they will do bidding, but it is something I want to see in NBT:MWO or reward them for bringing a lesser load out.  How that will be done is is still in the workshop.

Vercinix

Offline PeRRaKo

• Cadet
    • View Profile
    • 17th Recon
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 07:39:58 AM »
They will be ranges.  We will want to give a team as much choice as we can while giving a fair fight.  Overall in my opinion the more players the more powerful the team.   But We will not stop people from doing what they feel they can to win.  The size the gap will be is still unknown and will be part of the tweaking part of the rules.  If I was to go off my gut i would say i'm aiming for 9-12 for the "Big" fights.  For clans we haven't looked into how they will do bidding, but it is something I want to see in NBT:MWO or reward them for bringing a lesser load out.  How that will be done is is still in the workshop.

Vercinix

Sounds great. 
Also giving the Clans a peculiar (and more lore-friendly) flavor is a nice idea I'm looking forward to.
PeRRaKo
17th Recon Regiment
AKA Camacho's Caballeros
www.17threcon.com
Former:

Offline Quicksilver

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: SJR
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »
Id like to caution against bigger drops than 8-9 even for PAs. Im sorry but regardless of how things worked in BT, the game just isnt meant for 12 mans especially given the small map sizes. Just because the option is there doesn't mean it needs to be included. After talking with several within my clan and just after playing around after 12-mans were introduced I think the better battles have been on the 8-man scale and I don't see why that should really change just because we have the capability now especially if it means the battles are worse.

Offline Vercinix

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 06:59:17 PM »
We will take your opinion under advisement, however the ability to pick the maps which the fight are on and the max player count at 12 will most likely lead us to have PA in the 12v12 arena.  I can understand that you feel that 12v12 are worse, but be assured that myself and all of our QA staff are from some of the highest tiered 12-man teams in the game currently and want anything but an easy or boring fight for any team.

Thank you,
Vercinix