November 18, 2017, 07:03:00 PM

Author Topic: The Body is Ready  (Read 7291 times)

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
Re: The Body is Ready
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2016, 09:37:53 PM »
Thanks guys, we will keep at it then. :)

Offline MechTheDane

• Periphery State Representative
    • View Profile
    • ISENGRIM
  • Unit: The ISENGRIM
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2016, 10:59:44 PM »
NOW PROXIS IS TRYING TO GET ME TO PLAY THEM.
AND I'M ALL "BUT I WANT NBT"
AND THEY'RE ALL, "NBT IS GONNA BE AUGUST AT THE EARLIEST PROBABLY VAPORWARE PUT YOUR HAND IN A BLENDER"

AND I AM LIKE

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 08:22:08 PM »
I had based end of July off of your comments earlier in the thread, so that would be where August came from. I don't have a solid feature set for then, however; right now the next milestone is support for the Sector Assault playtesting (which admittedly is a fairly significant part of any planetary league automation).

NBT has never been an "either-or" proposition, so if other leagues fill a "market need" in the planetary spectrum, then that is a good thing.

Offline MechTheDane

• View Profile
    • ISENGRIM
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 09:46:02 PM »
And thus this protracted farce you called Fall comes to an end and Summer has official began(for you, it began for the rest of us non-oceanic people like a month ago).

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2016, 08:14:36 PM »
Fall? You live in Argentina? :p

Offline MechTheDane

• View Profile
    • ISENGRIM
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 03:11:01 PM »
Or Australia

Offline Ultramek

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Clan Jade Falcon
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2016, 07:15:36 AM »
Since I'm too lazy to read their whole ruleset, what niche is Proxis filling as a planetary league? Is it the full level of immersion that NBT generally has been where you have to do everything but allocate rations for the troops?
Star Commander Ultramek
Jade Falcon Prime

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2016, 01:00:22 PM »
No. Deadfire is familiar with it and has described it as "NBT-lite". I can't speak to the accuracy of that statement or their future plans as I simply don't know enough about it myself to say for sure. That said, any planetary league will have similarities to other planetary leagues.

Online Lukoi

• NBT League Team
    • View Profile
    • Smoke Adders (Theta Galaxy, CSA)
  • Unit: Clan Star Adder (Smoke Adders)
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 09:41:47 PM »
Proxis is definitely a great league thus far, and definitely NBT-light in many ways (which can be both good and bad depending on your preferences).

Proxis has:

- planetary restrictions on some planets (limits to strikes, weapons, whatever)
- significant production limitations (thus "scarcity")
- limitations allow for a much wider use of non-meta mechs, contributing to differing strategies etc
- dynamic market pricing for mechs based on demand
- differing faction types (pirate, IS House, Clan, Mercenary) with significantly different reward systems and scoring conditions to determine who is "winning"
- no clear set end-game as it's meant to be largely on-going
- a limited sand-box map

Proxis doesn't have:

- lore adherence...there are faction types, but you are your unit, not a faction in the NBT sense. For example, there could be multiple CGB teams, who all choose to be Clan based (impacting their rules, rewards and victory conditions), but who are completely unaligned and fighting themselves.
- a full or accurate map...the map is enlarged as teams enter the league (or shrunk as teams leave); the planets are from the Inner Sphere for fluff and fun, but not accurately positioned necessarily or placed too seriously spatially.  For example, our Clan Star Adder team has Turtle Bay as it's primary starting planet.
- robust, multiple layers with different game modes to represent the different stages of a planetary invasion, or a raid, or the various "steps" common to NBT.  Fights are best of three, single map (determined by the planet) and that's largely it.  Seizing a planet is based simply on attritting a garrison to below 12-mechs to fight with.

All in all it's a fun diversion from the more grognard-y gamestyle of NBT.  It's very accessible, although they are still working on adding all of the rules/mechanics to their website.  It's not as well laid out/explained as NBT or MRBC.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 10:02:36 PM »
Thanks for the info. It feels to me like there is room for both. NBT is not for the more casually-oriented teams for sure; between the "automation warrior-ing" and the level of competition in some parts of the map, it can be overwhelming for smaller or less-active teams. It sounds like Proxis fills the gap between FW and NBT.

Offline MechTheDane

• View Profile
    • ISENGRIM
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2016, 12:02:39 PM »
It also fills the gap if NBT never comes out agaaaaaaiiinnnnn

Offline FLAKPANZER

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Wolf Spiders
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 04:05:02 PM »
Although my unit [WSB] has been fairly inactive for a while, a handful of us have started talking about playing again for NBT when this gets off the ground.

Although I have played MW since MW2, I was never a participant in NBT and have felt like I missed out on something spectacular. That said, I would really like to see this project advance.

Is there anything a handful of WSB guys can do to help?

Thanks.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2016, 09:42:48 PM »
Although my unit [WSB] has been fairly inactive for a while, a handful of us have started talking about playing again for NBT when this gets off the ground.

Although I have played MW since MW2, I was never a participant in NBT and have felt like I missed out on something spectacular. That said, I would really like to see this project advance.

Is there anything a handful of WSB guys can do to help?

Thanks.

How are you all with Java, MySQL and HTML5? ;)

Offline FLAKPANZER

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Wolf Spiders
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2016, 02:38:01 PM »
How are you all with Java, MySQL and HTML5? ;)

I have zero skills in any of that, but I was a professional graphic designer for a decade. I worked on web imagery for several years, but did not do any programming.

I can check with the other guys in the unit.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2016, 07:34:01 PM »
Web graphic design is probably something we do need. If left to my own devices, we will get a red-white-and-gold-text-on-black-background design, with the graphics that I have from the MW4 days, because I am a programmer, not an artist, and this is what "programmer art" looks like. ;)

If you want to talk about site design sometime, I'm game.