August 21, 2018, 02:11:42 PM

Author Topic: The New Year The New League the New Drama  (Read 10569 times)

Offline GI_Journalist

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: [4TCR]
Re: The New Year The New League the New Drama
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 12:27:52 PM »
There is too much money and too many mechs in the league. I want to scale everything down to the point that "scarcity" becomes a real thing again, even for "major" factions. Part of the reason that I want to allow repairs in SA drops is to allow PAs to be fought reasonably well, with a reasonable number of starting mechs. The actual numbers involved will need to be trial-and-error'ed, but expect to see a fraction of the mechs that you see now in the league. I mean, honestly, how many of those mechs in interior planets ever see battle? They just incur costs. As a result, less money should be needed, and we should also introduce the concept of "risk/reward" in garrison/attack strategy. You want to go on the offensive? You can, but you will either need to leave part of your space undefended, or will have to hire someone or ally with someone to help defend it for you.

I dislike the idea of Mechs being so scarce that it leads to the stripping of planetary defenses. My team appreciates the variety of MWO matches generated by NBT. However, if there are no units on a planet, no game is possible. I'd appreciate if each planet is seeded with at least enough tonnage to allow for an initial match, even if it is minimal.
Presumably, each planet has a militia, while the sector capitals would contain the bulk of each faction's starting force.

A militia force of 500 tons or less on each minor planet would allow for an initial defense of the world. This defense could then be followed by a counter-attack from the sector capital, which seems to match how major units are described as deploying in the Inner Sphere.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 09:01:11 PM »
There is too much money and too many mechs in the league. I want to scale everything down to the point that "scarcity" becomes a real thing again, even for "major" factions. Part of the reason that I want to allow repairs in SA drops is to allow PAs to be fought reasonably well, with a reasonable number of starting mechs. The actual numbers involved will need to be trial-and-error'ed, but expect to see a fraction of the mechs that you see now in the league. I mean, honestly, how many of those mechs in interior planets ever see battle? They just incur costs. As a result, less money should be needed, and we should also introduce the concept of "risk/reward" in garrison/attack strategy. You want to go on the offensive? You can, but you will either need to leave part of your space undefended, or will have to hire someone or ally with someone to help defend it for you.

I dislike the idea of Mechs being so scarce that it leads to the stripping of planetary defenses. My team appreciates the variety of MWO matches generated by NBT. However, if there are no units on a planet, no game is possible. I'd appreciate if each planet is seeded with at least enough tonnage to allow for an initial match, even if it is minimal.

Presumably, each planet has a militia, while the sector capitals would contain the bulk of each faction's starting force.

A militia force of 500 tons or less on each minor planet would allow for an initial defense of the world. This defense could then be followed by a counter-attack from the sector capital, which seems to match how major units are described as deploying in the Inner Sphere.

In the next NBT, you will not be attacking planets, but sectors of planets. How a team distributes forces around that sector is up to them, but all forces in a sector will be available in a sector raid or assault.

It may take some getting used to, but the whole of the league is scaling, so the reduction in number of mechs is proportional to the reduction in targets. We'll have to learn to stop thinking in terms of individual planets.

Offline Abigail Acerose

• Mercenary Unit Representative
    • View Profile
  • Unit: BMMU
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2016, 12:07:45 PM »
Is there any estimation of when the next league will begin to start up?

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2016, 02:07:56 PM »
It is feeling like sometime in Feb -- the coding is taking a bit longer than I had hoped.

It will be rolling out as we go -- the basic functionality will be online (faction/command management, battle management, basic mech purchasing and management; in other words, the bare essentials for a functional NBT) first, and additional features will roll out as we go along.

Offline Lucity

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Harloc Raiders
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 05:48:37 PM »
Nice, glad to hear it. HR-I is excited to get things rolling again!

Offline Orkdung

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: 4th Tau Ceti Rangers (Capellan Confederation)
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »
How are we coming along?

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »
Steadily -- the normal unexpected setbacks (for instance, I broke the starmap recently and have no idea how, so I am debugging that), plus the expected occasional unforeseen disparity between how the backend code works and how it needs to. The hope is to have something public this week that people can play with, make suggestions on, etc...and since the client side code is public, anyone who knows web development can help if they want. :)

Offline Helbrecht

• Mechwarrior Trainee
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2016, 06:24:37 AM »
WARNING: TL;DR

The other piece I want to take from CW is the ability for multiple teams to work on an assault at the same time, in real time. I'll describe the allied attack/defend system in detail later, but in short, I want to allow more than one team to ally for an assault attack or defend. In this way, sector assaults can provide an opportunity for allies or mercs to participate in an assault in a meaningful way, without the primary faction having to transfer back and forth. So, for example, Faction A may lead the attack in the sector-assault phase, and leave the "holds" to allies or mercs. Or perhaps everyone can do attacks, and holds are chosen among the allies. The point is to allow multiple teams to play in the assault at the same time, which, if nothing else, makes scheduling easier, and also should speed up the pace of assaults considerably. We could even go one step further and borrow the "queueing" system from CW as well, and simply match up queued attackers and defenders to fight "whatever is next".

In terms of what mechs can be used on a given drop, anything in the sector (whether allied or owned) can be used on your drop. This will require that teams log drops both immediately before and immediately after the drop, so that other teams playing in the assault know what mechs they can use (your "mechs taken" that you log before a drop are not shown to the opponent; it merely affects what your allies see in terms of mechs available to them). I would suggest comms coordination on this as well, of course.

you do realize this is exactly what everyone hates about CW and why most of the comp teams do not play in cw with any regularity. to spend hours and hours taking a planet. and than to log on and see it was lost is the most frustrating thing about CW. this function is the one thing that should NOT be put into the league. keep the teams seperate, thiers already enough problems with teams attempting to load up all star teams.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »
In my experience playing CW with 228, the most frustrating part of CW is the horrid matchmaking. Small sample size, sure, but I've not heard anyone complain about other teams not being able to hold.

Note that there is no requirement for multiple teams to participate. In fact, I expect most SAs to be a single team on each side. Allied operations are not automatic -- teams still need to be allied, and to jump mechs into the sector to be able to participate. If teams wish to do a joint operation, it is entirely between them and if it goes badly as you describe here, that's between the teams who originally agreed to ally for the battle.

Even if we kept the battle mechanics the same as they are now, with no changes, it will not change how teams make up drop lineups -- they would still be able to "game" the alliance system to provide only A-level talent if they want. So this change does not affect that "issue" anyway.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:39:02 AM by Xavier »

Offline Derv

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2016, 03:04:55 PM »
WARNING: TL;DR

The other piece I want to take from CW is the ability for multiple teams to work on an assault at the same time, in real time. I'll describe the allied attack/defend system in detail later, but in short, I want to allow more than one team to ally for an assault attack or defend. In this way, sector assaults can provide an opportunity for allies or mercs to participate in an assault in a meaningful way, without the primary faction having to transfer back and forth. So, for example, Faction A may lead the attack in the sector-assault phase, and leave the "holds" to allies or mercs. Or perhaps everyone can do attacks, and holds are chosen among the allies. The point is to allow multiple teams to play in the assault at the same time, which, if nothing else, makes scheduling easier, and also should speed up the pace of assaults considerably. We could even go one step further and borrow the "queueing" system from CW as well, and simply match up queued attackers and defenders to fight "whatever is next".

In terms of what mechs can be used on a given drop, anything in the sector (whether allied or owned) can be used on your drop. This will require that teams log drops both immediately before and immediately after the drop, so that other teams playing in the assault know what mechs they can use (your "mechs taken" that you log before a drop are not shown to the opponent; it merely affects what your allies see in terms of mechs available to them). I would suggest comms coordination on this as well, of course.

you do realize this is exactly what everyone hates about CW and why most of the comp teams do not play in cw with any regularity. to spend hours and hours taking a planet. and than to log on and see it was lost is the most frustrating thing about CW. this function is the one thing that should NOT be put into the league. keep the teams seperate, thiers already enough problems with teams attempting to load up all star teams.

The most frustrating thing about CW is that it doesn't matter.
GRANDIOSE DELUSIONS

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »

This too (this mostly, really).

Offline Orkdung

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: 4th Tau Ceti Rangers (Capellan Confederation)
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 11:05:27 PM »

This too (this mostly, really).

/\ THIS!!

We've got new guys in the Unit and in the Confederation, and I don't want to come off dour, but when they (new players) get excited about CW and then come back and see all was for not, and...it didn't/doesnt matter, they get depressed and walk away. 
This wave of new STEAM players isnt going to last long for PGI when there is no reward for planets, and the game is work (grinding).
Phase 3 better be magical unicorns farting rainbow fairy dust or the game is doomed.