June 25, 2018, 08:04:32 AM

Author Topic: The New Year The New League the New Drama  (Read 10174 times)

Offline VVonka

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: Rising Storm
Re: The New Year The New League the New Drama
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 06:23:24 PM »
Like I said, there is a snowball effect especially when you take into account psychological effects (most baby seals don't fight back past a point :P). Not saying I'm necessarily against it, but it hasn't been kind or good for the pace of the league (less mechs tends to mean less activity).

I think this has been shown to be more than true in every NBT league. People simply roll over rather than have to fight people they think they can't ever beat.

Thats rough, there is no answer for that

Offline Cassowary

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: House of Outlaw
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 06:47:38 PM »
I honestly am not trying to sound like a dick or anything but at the end of the day any units that exist within NBT all joined for the same reason and that is to fight over planets.  If I found out that my team was running away without even putting up a fight then I would question why we were participating in the first place.

Offline Quicksilver

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: SJR
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 08:31:55 PM »
Like I said, there is a snowball effect especially when you take into account psychological effects (most baby seals don't fight back past a point :P). Not saying I'm necessarily against it, but it hasn't been kind or good for the pace of the league (less mechs tends to mean less activity).

I think this has been shown to be more than true in every NBT league. People simply roll over rather than have to fight people they think they can't ever beat.
It's much easier when scarcity is a thing though, in a similar vein to the argument back when people suggested R&R should balance the stronger mechs.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Unit: NBT
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 01:09:57 AM »
I do worry about how the command and lesser units idea will pan out...am I to assume that the admins will try to guide units so that each major faction has an equal/appropriate amount of teams so that you don't end up with people trying to cling to good units and avoiding maybe a weaker one (ex 10 units under FedCom and only 1 for the Dracs)?

Yes, it would not be an uncontrolled system; at the least, the top-level command unit probably would not want to mentor that many separate teams at once, nor herd that many cats at once either. In reality, I don't expect there to be a ton of this anyway; admin will steer teams towards factions and parts of the map that suit their particular skill set and activity level best, and the whole "mentor and mentee" thing will be done on a case-by-case basis.

Offline Justin Ward

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 12:30:14 AM »
I will touch a bit on a few topics that stood out for me. Cass, your all ways a dick so your point is moot.

Now to the lesser problems.

One item in particular that could be a problem for teams is the idea of repairs during the SA. The idea is good but in practice will become problematic to some units due to the fact that not everyone will have access to all mechs. When attacking a unit I bring in the mechs that the unit actually have to play with. Since this game makes you buy everything you can end up repairing mechs that you cannot make use of because no one in your unit has access to them. This problem will be a case to case basis but an issue like this could lead to problems where attacking unit have mechs but cannot play anymore because the salvage is mechs that players cannot use. I like the idea but the way the game forces one to gain access to mechs makes it a hard one to swallow.

This be but one but I will post more about others later
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:33:04 AM by Justin Ward »

Offline Cassowary

• Cadet
    • View Profile
  • Unit: House of Outlaw
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 02:21:29 AM »
Agreed.  It wouldn't be an issue if we did away with variants though.  Because our player base is rather small I think we should revisit variants.

Offline Helbrecht

• Mechwarrior Trainee
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 05:23:44 AM »
another potential problem is smaller units getting literally destroyed by the new sector assault. if a faction only has say 50 worlds and they lose 10 a pop per sector said unit is gone in 5 pa's. doing away with the march system i think is a good move, cause to be honest alot of teams simply dont want to deal with alot of automation right off the bat. and some teams may only have enough players to handle smaller work loads. this is were mercs were so effective in prior leagues, smaller teams could handle a night of drops, freeing up said faction players for the more important games.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 10:20:56 AM »
Agreed.  It wouldn't be an issue if we did away with variants though.  Because our player base is rather small I think we should revisit variants.

Yes, I forgot to mention this in this thread but had mentioned in previously; we will probably go with chassis-based factories by default (right not factory purchases are either variant-based, or weight-class-based, with no middle ground). You will still have to repair a variant into that same variant, but since repairs are always optional, repairing something you can't reasonably use is sort of a self-inflicted injury in my opinion... )

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 10:26:13 AM »
another potential problem is smaller units getting literally destroyed by the new sector assault. if a faction only has say 50 worlds and they lose 10 a pop per sector said unit is gone in 5 pa's.

Not sure if it was clear in my comments, but smaller units would have smaller sector sizes (in terms of planet count per sector).

doing away with the march system i think is a good move, cause to be honest alot of teams simply dont want to deal with alot of automation right off the bat. and some teams may only have enough players to handle smaller work loads. this is were mercs were so effective in prior leagues, smaller teams could handle a night of drops, freeing up said faction players for the more important games.

Yes, my experience and conversations with various team leaders suggested that, as has always been the case in NBT, very few like the "automation warfare" aspect of NBT (and those who do, like it a LOT). So one benefit of faction/command is to be able to accommodate each type of team's preference.

Additionally, the automation will be much more, well, "automated" this time around (anyone familiar with the drudgery of simply moving jumpships around can attest to how un-automated this thing currently is). For example, team admins should be able to select a ship/fleet at Point A, say "I want it to go to Point B and perform this action (passthru, raid, etc), and the automation should just do that (taking into account all charge stations and other factors along the way). That may not be in the first pass of the new automation, but that's definitely where I want to land sooner rather than later.

Offline Justin Ward

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
Making the jump system automated would be nice but there should be some form of "skill" involved for the auto war junkies. I would say set it up with a jump string and the auto will auto jump for you within your string, but you still have to figure out the best route.

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »
Making the jump system automated would be nice but there should be some form of "skill" involved for the auto war junkies. I would say set it up with a jump string and the auto will auto jump for you within your string, but you still have to figure out the best route.

The idea I had in mind is similar to what Google Maps does when you enter an origin and destination -- it will plot the "most efficient route". We can make this optional, of course, and in the end, it can always be ignored (and all or some jumps done manually). For instance, a fleet may need to pick up mechs along the way, so a simple "end to end" plan may not be sufficient.

The goal is to eliminate the tedium of doing things in the automation; the skill is still there, in devising strategies and long-term planning (and with a renewed focus on scarcity, long-term planning will become more important).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:24:20 PM by Xavier »

Offline MechTheDane

• Periphery State Representative
    • View Profile
    • ISENGRIM
  • Unit: The ISENGRIM
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 05:46:07 PM »
Alright. So to talk about your faction changes.

Lets say I talk to some other FRR units and get them involved in the next season, and my previous House Mercs want to continue our relationship from before.

I now have: ISEN, MM, AS from last season and now have the added units of 2323, MJ12 and SoR who want to play as FRR.

ISEN controls all diplomacy and has ultimate say? Then I give MM and AS large powerful commands, and then I give the new FRR units (2323, MJ12 and SoR) smaller commands? Are these commands arbitrary? Like 400 mechs and 40 planets to AS, while I give 50 mechs and 10 planets to 2323?

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 10:26:31 PM »
Yes, the size of the commands is up to you. They will probably work along planet-sector boundaries for simplicity, and you would be able to give control of as many sectors as you like to whoever you like.

Offline MechTheDane

• Periphery State Representative
    • View Profile
    • ISENGRIM
  • Unit: The ISENGRIM
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2016, 12:08:52 AM »
I understand there will be fewer mechs, but to facilitate so many different commands - can there be more Jumpships?

Offline Xavier

• NBT Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2016, 12:25:31 PM »
Yes, another thing I had left out, is that we will likely seed the galaxy with charge stations all over the place, more than enough to connect everyone's factories, for example. We clearly did not have enough this last time, and this should help alleviate transport and purchase hassles to a degree.

There is an idea we had about the concept of commercial and military charge stations (and the ability to disrupt one, the other or both), but it's not fleshed out and won't be implemented in this first go at the new league.